Colonel Phillip Jones born 1618 in the Great House in Swansea. His family were from Pen-y-Waun, Llangyfelach. He was a contemporary of Thomas Matthews (probable owner of Llys Nini) and his brother Marmaduke Matthews the Puritan Preacher.
He joined the Parliamentarians in the Civil War and was appointed by Parliament as the Governor of the Garrison of Swansea in 1646.
The following year he was promoted to Colonel and played an active part in the Battle of St Fagans in 1648 and then Governor of Cardiff Castle. He became a powerful and influential member of Cromwell’s advisors.
It was claimed by Royalists and dispossessed clergy that he had amassed a great fortune at the expense of those dispossessed of lands and livings. The charge was not proved.
Philip Jones was one of the most powerful men in the country in the days of the two Protectors. He was a member of the Council of State , and on numerous sub-committees: he was on the committee at the end of 1653 to deal with provocative speeches by people like Vavasor Powell) , and to draft a new ordinance to keep such excesses within the bounds of reason; he was the most prominent member of a commission in 1655 to bring about peace between English merchants and the king of Portugal. (38)
He survived the return to monarchy sufficiently to have become Sheriff of Glamorgan in 1671.
In 1648, Oliver Cromwell arrived in Swansea on his way to Tenby, he was described in the minute book of the Common Hall in Swansea as " ..the truly Honourable Oliver Cromwell Esq., Lieutenant General of all the Forces of this Kingdom of England, under the command of the Parliament, Lorde of this Towne, the Seigniory of Gower and Manor of Kilvey." It is also recorded that he gave £10 for the use of the poor. Cromwell’s route from Swansea to Tenby is not recorded but it is likely that he would have travelled through Gwlad Nini on the old Swansea Road. Local legend has it that he spent the night in Allt-Y-Gaban Farm House in Pontlliw.
Oliver Cromwell confiscated much of Gower from Edward Somerset, the 2rd Marquess of Worcester (the Earl of Glamorgan), which with the Lordship of Gower he gave to Jones. Following the Restoration of the monarchy in 1660, the Marquess of Worcester regained the manor and his son, Henry Somerset, was elevated by Charles II to the title of Duke of Beaufort in 1682. The Duke of Beaufort still owns large portions on land in and around Gwlad Nini.
Colonel Philip Jones of Llangyfelach The Round Head
John Pettie - A Puritan Officer